Kaunas Holy Trinity Bernardine Church and Convent (Survived, k.k.v.r. 824) (0)
Address: Kauno m. sav., Kauno m., A. Jakšto g. 1
Architecture type: Professional
Ethnical region: Nenurodyta
Region: Kaunas
Epochs: Grand Duchy of Lithuania
Architecture categories: Architecture, Separate building, Religious buildings, Church
Materials: Masonry (brick)
Images: 0
Publications: 0
Consist of 3 object(s)
Tags: Holy Trinity Church in Kaunas
: Kaunas old town, Kaunas St. Trinity Church and Bernardine Monastery

The Third Order of St. Francis sisters’ community, nurtured by the Bernardine Order, settled in Kaunas in the second half of the 16th century. In 1617 Kaunas County Marshal Aleksandras Masalskis, along with his wife, became benefactors of the Bernardine convent. In 1624-1634 the stone Holy Trinity church and two-floor convent were constructed. Circa 20 nuns lived in the convent, mostly daughters of rich noblemen. The Bernardine convent was closed down in 1864 ‒ the seminary of Samogitia bishopric had been housed in this building. In 1929, after the design by the engineer and architect Waclaw Michniewicz (Vaclovas Michnevičius), two more floors were added to the western wing of the convent. In 1938-1948 the complex was owned by Salesians. In 1963 the church was closed, but later reopened and in 1978 was given to the seminary.

Vaida Kamuntavičienė


Consist of
Architecture type: Professional
Ethnical region: Nenurodyta
Region: Kaunas
Epochs: Grand Duchy of Lithuania
Architecture categories: Architecture, Monastery, Complex object, Religious buildings, Church
Materials: Masonry (brick)
Images: 0
Publications: 0
Consist of 0 object(s)
Former Bernardine Convent house in Kaunas (Survived, k.k.v.r. 824) (0)
Address: Kauno m. sav., Kauno m., Papilio g. 5
The Bernardine Convent house is one of Kaunas’ old town buildings to have changed its architecture, shape, size and purpose the most. In the 16th century on the convent site two possessions were planned and a one-floor stone building was constructed. In the first half of the 17th century the building...
Architecture type: Professional
Ethnical region: Nenurodyta
Region: Kaunas
Epochs: Grand Duchy of Lithuania
Architecture categories: Architecture, Separate building, Religious buildings, Monastery
Materials: Masonry (brick)
Images: 11
Publications: 0
Consist of 0 object(s)
Architecture type: Professional
Year: 1928 - 1930
Ethnical region: Nenurodyta
Region: Kaunas
Epochs: Interwar
Architecture categories: Architecture, Separate building, Seminary
Materials: Masonry (brick)
Images: 6
Publications: 0
Consist of 0 object(s)