Result by query: Search string - lenkų gimnazija
Former Gymnasium named after Adomas Mickevičius (Survived) (3)
Address: Kauno m. sav., Kauno m., Miško g. 1
Architecture type: Professional
Architects: Edmundas Alfonsas Frykas
Styles: Istorizmas
Year: 1928 - 1931
Ethnical region: Nenurodyta
Region: Kaunas
Epochs: Interwar
Architecture categories: Architecture, Separate building, Education, Gymnasium
Materials: Masonry (brick)
Images: 9
Publications: 0
Consist of 0 object(s)
Tags: Architect Edmundas Frykas, Gymnasiums, Historicism, Polish gymnasium in Kaunas
: House in Kaunas, Miško st. (formerly Polish Gymnasium), Kaunas New Town, Miško str. in Kaunas, Vytautas str. in Kaunas

Complex diplomatic relations between Lithuania and Poland during the First Republic period led to careful monitoring of the Polish ethnic minorities in Lithuania by the Lithuanian government. The fear of Polonisation amongst Lithuanian intellectuals resulted in a stricter control of Polish political activities, as well as special attention to cultural and social activities of the ethnic minority by the government. Despite the political context, only one year after the declaration of Lithuanian independence, in 1919, a private Polish gymnasium was established in Kaunas, and in 1927 the construction of a new gymnasium building was underway. In 1928 the Construction Inspectorate under the Ministry of the Interior approved the draft of the building. In 1929 the school was named after Adomas Mickevičius, whereas in 1931 – construction works were completed.

The school, designed by one of the most prominent architects of the interwar period Edumandas Alfonsas Frykas was a characteristic example of the historic style during the First Republic period. The school was erected at the intersection between Vytautas Avenue and Miškas Street. The three-story corner building dominates the scenery of both Vytautas Avenue and Miškas Street by its monumental forms and size, smoothly complementing the urban landscape of this part of the city. The building has irregular layout. Interior rooms – classrooms, library, and student cloakrooms – are laid out along the corridors on the Northern and the Southern parts of the building. School’s design includes a spacious hall for gymnastics. Key highlight of the exterior – Renaissance-style superstructures surrounded by small decorated pediments and columns. Historian Jolita Kančienė says that these decor elements represent the style characteristic to Polish Renaissance. Hence, the new gymnasium building also represented the symbolic Polish culture in interwar Kaunas. The gymnasium was closed in 1940, following the occupation of the Republic of Lithuania by the Soviet Union.

Kristina Endriukaitytė


Comments
2013 10 17 | 10:28
Rita Vaitilaviciene
Buvusi Lenkų Adomo Mickevičiaus vardo gimnazija (Išlikęs) Nuoroda [1] Kaunas: datos ir faktai [Kauno apskrities viešoji biblioteka. Elektroninis žinynas] http://knyga.kvb.lt/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=352&Itemid=71 Ne visai teisinga nuoroda. Cia informacija paimta is KAVB Senu ir retu spaudiniu skyriaus puslapio: "Leidiniai lenkų kalba, išleisti Kaune 1918 – 1940 m."
2013 10 17 | 10:36
Vaidas Petrulis
Ačiū už pastebėjimą, ištaisėme :)
2013 10 19 | 21:47
Ramūnas Janulaitis
Nors E.Fryko projekte ir matome kiemo fligelį su gimnastikos sale, tačiau realiai jis taip ir nebuvo pastatytas. Nebuvo jo 1938-1939 m. aerofoto nuotraukoje, nėra ir dabar.