Birštonas Museum (Survived, k.k.v.r. 36669) (0)
Address: Vytauto g. 9, Birštonas
Architecture type: Professional
Owners: Antanas Katelė
Year: 1932
Ethnical region: Nenurodyta
Region: Kaunas
Epochs: Interwar
Architecture categories: Architecture, Separate building, Residential, Villa
Materials: Wood
Images: 11
Publications: 0
Consist of 0 object(s)
Tags: health resort in Birštonas, Birštonas, Birstono resort, Resorts' architecture, Vilos
: Birštonas

The composition, size and materiality of the museum reflect the typical inter-war resort architecture. The two-storey residential house for accommodating visitors was built by forester Antanas Katelė in 1932-1933. In 1937 a kitchen and a warehouse were built on the same land; however, they did not survive. Until 1941 the villa was rented to teachers staying at Birštonas resort; meanwhile, in 1948, it was nationalized and transformed into a rest house Ramunė. In 1967 the villa was turned into Birštonas museum which is still open today.

The two-storey log building is rectangular with a risalite on the eastern end and a basement underneath. The building has asymmetric composition common for resort villas. It stands out for its decorative turrets, and its ornaments on the main facade. The multi-pitched spar roof is adorned by two turrets with pinnacles. The roof is covered by tin sheets which was included in the original draft. The main entrance standing out for its representative architectural constructions – it has a spacious entryway with wooden pillars supporting the balcony on the second floor. The central balcony on the second floor recreates the trapezoidal entryway composition, while the balcony on the right of the main facade is roofed by wooden vaults. The balconies are decorated by open-carved geometrical ornaments.

Renata Kilinskaitė