Result by query: Search string - dominican
Kaunas Corpus Christi Church and Dominican Convent (Survived, k.k.v.r. 22358) (0)
Address: Kauno m. sav., Kauno m., Vilniaus g. 31
Architecture type: Professional
Ethnical region: Nenurodyta
Region: Kaunas
Epochs: Grand Duchy of Lithuania
Architecture categories: Architecture, Separate building, Religious buildings, Church
Materials: Masonry (brick)
Images: 3
Publications: 0
Consist of 1 object(s)
Tags: Dominikonai, Kaunas Corpus Christi Church and Dominican Convent
: Kaunas Corpus Christi Church and Dominican Convent, Kaunas old town

The Corpus Christi church was consecrated on 30th June 1700. The construction of the stone monastery was finished at the end of the 17th century. At that time it was the first modern Baroque complex of buildings in Kaunas. In 1845 the church and monastery were closed down and Corpus Christi Church was left neglected; it was later turned into a warehouse, and the monastery housed a prison and later a school. In 1865, it was decided to turn the church into a Russian Orthodox church – its towers were pulled down and an onion shaped dome was constructed; this reconstruction finished in 1868. In 1919 the church was handed back to the Roman Catholic congregation, the onion dome was demolished, though the Baroque towers were not rebuilt. In 1933 a stone mosaic depicting Jesus Christ by Juozas Mikėnas and Boleslovas Motūza was installed in the façade. In 1949 the church was closed down, and in 1963 it was turned into a cinema hall with the entire interior being completely destroyed. After 1990 the church was returned to the congregation and serves students as a chapel.

Vaida Kamuntavičienė


Consist of
Architectural development of Kaunas Corpus Christi Church and Dominican Monastery (Survived, k.k.v.r. 1158) (0)
Address: Kauno m. sav., Kauno m., Vilniaus g. 31
Before the construction of the church and monastery, this part of town had very few buildings – the townspeople’s gardens and separate wooden houses prevailed. The new church opened in the middle of the 17th century. In 1645 the main altar was created (by the wood sculptor Anusas), paintings of St. Hyacinth...
Architecture type: Professional
Year: 1639 - 1700
Ethnical region: Nenurodyta
Region: Kaunas
Epochs: Grand Duchy of Lithuania
Architecture categories: Complex object, Monastery, Religious buildings, Church
Materials: Masonry (brick)
Images: 0
Publications: 0
Consist of 0 object(s)