Bernardine friars’ possessions in Kaunas (k.k.v.r. 824) (0)
Architecture type: Professional
Ethnical region: Nenurodyta
Region: Kaunas
Epochs: Grand Duchy of Lithuania
Architecture categories: Urban structures, Site
Images: 0
Publications: 0
Consist of 7 object(s)
Tags: Bernardine, Cemeteries, Duonos kepyklos, Kalvės, Kaunas bernardine monastery and St. George church, Stephen B�thory, Varpai
: Kaunas old town, St. George Church and Bernardine Monastery

Bernardine possessions spread over the western edge of the old town. The Bernardine Order settled here in 1468, and constructed an intricate complex of stone buildings – incorporating the church and monastery. In the second half of the 16th century the number of friars diminished, and the friars distributed the monastery land to the townspeople to build houses or gardens. Thus, this large and long land plot was built over with wooden houses. At the beginning of the 17th century the Bernardine monastery and convent possessions were established near the Town Hall square, in the land plots that had at first been assigned for townspeople. At the end of the 16th century the Bernardines expanded the cemetery of the St. George churchyard and established a new cemetery in the western part of town. The manufacturing activities were conducted in the southern part of the Bernardine possession. There were a few buildings of various purposes, such as a smithy; there have been traces found of forging colour metals, in which the bone was cut and processed. The research also uncovered that the town’s bells were cast here.

Mindaugas Bertašius


Consist of
Data of the architectural research of Kaunas St. George the Martyr Church (Survived, k.k.v.r. 22349) (0)
Address: Kauno m. sav., Kauno m., Papilio g. 7
The exterior of St. George’s church has remained virtually unchanged – the plan, outside walls, buttresses, window openings, and entrances have all survived, although the interior of the church has changed considerably. In the reconstruction of the church after the fires of 1603, 1624 and 1668, the roof...
Architecture type: Professional
Ethnical region: Nenurodyta
Region: Kaunas
Epochs: Grand Duchy of Lithuania
Architecture categories: Architecture, Separate building, Religious buildings, Church
Materials: Masonry (brick)
Images: 0
Publications: 0
Consist of 0 object(s)
Old Bernardine Monastery house (Not survived, k.k.v.r. 22350) (0)
Address: Kauno m. sav., Kauno m., Papilio g. 9
During the nearly 30 years of construction of the main monastery buildings, the friars lived in a modest stone house on the southern side of the presbytery. It is not known whether this building was given together with the land plot, or whether it was built by the friars. However, it can be stated that...
Architecture type: Professional
Ethnical region: Nenurodyta
Region: Kaunas
Epochs: Grand Duchy of Lithuania
Architecture categories: Architecture, Separate building, Residential, Monastery
Materials: Masonry (brick)
Images: 0
Publications: 0
Consist of 0 object(s)
Architecture type: Professional
Ethnical region: Nenurodyta
Region: Kaunas
Epochs: Grand Duchy of Lithuania
Architecture categories: Architecture, Separate building, Religious buildings, Church
Materials: Masonry (brick)
Images: 1
Publications: 0
Consist of 0 object(s)
The architecture of St. George the Martyr Church (Survived, k.k.v.r. 22349) (0)
Address: Kauno m. sav., Kauno m., Papilio g. 7
St. George the Martyr Church and Bernardine Monastery is the second most important Bernardine centre in Lithuania, constructed at the same time as the Vilnius Bernardine monastery buildings. The different positions in the town of these two monasteries have led to different architectural solutions. In...
Architecture type: Professional
Ethnical region: Nenurodyta
Region: Kaunas
Epochs: Grand Duchy of Lithuania
Architecture categories: Architecture, Religious buildings, Church
Materials: Masonry (brick)
Images: 1
Publications: 0
Consist of 0 object(s)
Bernardine monastery architecture and construction (Survived, k.k.v.r. 22350) (0)
Address: Kauno m. sav., Kauno m., Papilio g. 7
The construction of the Kaunas Bernardine Monastery started outside the western border of Kaunas. The Monastery land was separated from the town land only by the narrow Bernardine lane. The Monastery building created a “U” shape, made up of three parts: the eastern, southern and western wings. On the...
Architecture type: Professional
Ethnical region: Nenurodyta
Region: Kaunas
Epochs: Grand Duchy of Lithuania
Architecture categories: Architecture, Complex object, Religious buildings
Materials: Masonry (brick)
Images: 11
Publications: 0
Consist of 0 object(s)
Kaunas Bernardine Monastery funding (Survived, k.k.v.r. 824) (0)
Address: Kauno m. sav., Kauno m., Papilio g. 7
In 1468 the Polish province Cathedral Chapter, having secured the support of the ruler Kazimierz Jagiellon (Kazimieras Jogailaitis) and the permission of the Pope, decided to settle Bernardine (Franciscan observants) friars in the Lithuanian Grand Duchy (LGD). It was decided that the first monasteries...
Architecture type: Professional
Ethnical region: Nenurodyta
Region: Kaunas
Epochs: Before Grand Duchy of Lithuania
Architecture categories: Architecture, Complex object, Monastery
Materials: Masonry (brick)
Images: 0
Publications: 0
Consist of 0 object(s)
Kaunas St. George the Martyr Church and Bernardine Monastery (Survived, k.k.v.r. 22349) (0)
Address: Kauno m. sav., Kauno m., Papilio g. 7
The Gothic red brick Bernardine Church and the two-floor Monastery were constructed at the turn of the 15th-16th century. The Monastery and Church buildings adjoin, creating a rectangular walled yard and an enclosed garden. Despite the fires that had ravaged Church, in the first half of the 17th century...
Architecture type: Professional
Ethnical region: Nenurodyta
Region: Kaunas
Epochs: Grand Duchy of Lithuania
Architecture categories: Architecture, Religious buildings, Complex object, Monastery
Materials: Masonry (brick)
Images: 0
Publications: 0
Consist of 0 object(s)