Former Bernardine Convent house in Kaunas (Survived, k.k.v.r. 824) (0)
Address: Kauno m. sav., Kauno m., Papilio g. 5
Architecture type: Professional
Styles: Gothic, Istorizmas
Ethnical region: Nenurodyta
Region: Kaunas
Epochs: Grand Duchy of Lithuania
Architecture categories: Architecture, Separate building, Religious buildings, Monastery
Materials: Masonry (brick)
Images: 11
Publications: 0
Consist of 0 object(s)
Tags: Bernardine, Kaunas Old Town architecture
: Kaunas old town, Kaunas St. Trinity Church and Bernardine Monastery

The Bernardine Convent house is one of Kaunas’ old town buildings to have changed its architecture, shape, size and purpose the most. In the 16th century on the convent site two possessions were planned and a one-floor stone building was constructed. In the first half of the 17th century the building was reconstructed in the fashion of that time by covering its façades in cinder plaster and creating a decorative façade on the street side. The remaining parts of this façade were discovered inside the contemporary first floor wall. This façade remained until the end of the 17th century. By 1709, two-floor monastery buildings, incorporating the existing buildings, were constructed in all three western side possessions, alongside the whole length of the land plots. The residential monastery building was reconstructed in the second half of the 19th century and in 1930.

Asta Prikockienė