Vytautas the Great War Museum and M. K. Čiurlionis National Art Museum (Survived, k.k.v.r. 16946) (2)
Address: Kauno m. sav., Kauno m., Donelaičio g. 64, V. Putvinskio g. 55
Architecture type: Professional
Architects: Vladimiras Dubeneckis, Karolis Reisonas, Kazimieras Kriščiukaitis
Styles: Ankstyvasis funkcionalizmas
Year: 1929 - 1936
Ethnical region: Nenurodyta
Region: Kaunas
Epochs: Interwar
Architecture categories: Architecture, Separate building, Culture/Sport/Leisure, Museum, Art gallery
Materials: Masonry (brick)
Images: 42
Publications: 0
Consist of 3 object(s)
Tags: Architect Vladimiras Dubeneckis, Karolis Reisonas, Kauno miesto muziejus, Kazimieras Kriščiukaitis, Vytautas Great museum law, Vytautas Magnus Muzeum, Vytautas the Great museum tower, Vytautas the Great War Museum
: Kaunas, Kaunas New Town, Vienybės sq. in Kaunas , Vytautas the Great War Museum in Kaunas

The construction of Vytautas the Great War Museum was one of the most important architectural events of interwar Lithuania, which took almost the entire period of independence to complete. The development of the Unity Square, which would become the centrepiece of the city, began in 1921 following the establishment of a museum and the erection of the Crypt to those Perished for the Independence of Lithuania. Although the site was rather small, as one article of that time wrote in a patriotic spirit “no major public gathering, no ceremony, no ethnic festival and no celebration in general would go by without commemorating that dear site of the temporary capital”.

In 1923 it was decided that the site needs expanding. The city council ordered to draw up a draft for a museum (architect / engineer A. Jokimas) “which would be big enough to house a national museum, a city museum, an ecclesiastical museum and an art gallery for Čiurlionis’s works”. Despite that, the project failed to take form. However, with the approach of the 500th anniversary of the death of Vytautas Magnus, things took a new turn. The idea to “perpetuate the memory of Vytautas by building the largest museum in his name” was to become the pinnacle of the commemoration. The new “museum of museums” was to become home to all sorts of museums. In 1935, with the construction coming to the end, the main premises of the building were to be “divided amongst the war museum, Čiurlionis gallery, ethnography section and periodic exhibitions”.

The draft of the building was prepared by and the construction carried out under the supervision of a team of famous architects of that time: Vladimiras Dubeneckis, Karolis Reisonas, and Kazimieras Kriščiukaitis. The selection of the project required two tenders (1929 and 1930) and the construction lasted until the end of 1936. The construction of the House of Nation’s Culture, which then had huge symbolic significance, received wide press coverage and was funded by generous donations from both locals and Lithuanians abroad.

Vaidas Petrulis


Comments
2012 01 17 | 00:16
Kastytis Rudokas
Įdomu tai, kad Landsbergis norėjo Donelaičio gatvėje, šalia muziejaus statyt Prekybos pramonės ir amatų rūmus... Būtų buvęs tikrai vientisas lietuviško modernizmo ansamblis.
2012 01 17 | 00:25
Kastytis Rudokas
Išties, kai pamąstau, tai kartu su db. KTU centriniais, Karo muziejus ir PPA rūmai jau būtų suformavę savotišką, kaunietišką EUR variantą :)
Consist of
Architecture type: Professional
Year: 1929 - 1936
Region: Kaunas
Epochs: Interwar
Architecture categories: Doors
Materials: Wood
Images: 1
Publications: 0
Consist of 0 object(s)