Kaunas St. Gertrude church and hospital (Survived, k.k.v.r. 820) (0)
Address: Kauno m. sav., Kauno m., Laisvės al. 101B
Architecture type: Professional
Styles: Gothic
Ethnical region: Nenurodyta
Region: Kaunas
Epochs: Grand Duchy of Lithuania, Tzarist
Architecture categories: Architecture, Separate building, Religious buildings, Church
Materials: Masonry (brick)
Images: 2
Publications: 0
Consist of 3 object(s)
Tags: Gertrūdos bažnyčia
: Church of St. Gertrude in Kaunas, Kaunas old town

The construction of the Gothic red brick church of irregular shape with a massive dominating tower was most probably started in the 15th century (the presbytery was built first), and finished in the 16th century. Damaged during the Russian occupation of middle of the 17th century, it stood deserted for a long time. In 1750 friars of St. Roch Order settled in the church and established a shelter for the sick. St. Gertrude church was renovated extensively between 1785 and 1794, with the interior acquiring features of late Baroque and early Classicism. In 1825 the monastery and church were transferred to the sister order of Caritas, who continued the works of the St. Roch Order. The occupying Russian government were against Catholic Church institutions looking after the sick in Kaunas, therefore, in 1842 the hospital was removed from the care of nuns and turned into a secular institution. In 1866 the convent was dissolved altogether. In 1922-1948 St. Gertrude church belonged to the Congregation of Marian Fathers, who constructed a stone monastery building. In 1948 the church was converted into a medical equipment shop, and finally in 1992 the church was returned back to the monks.

Vaida Kamuntavičienė


Consist of
Christ the Saviour Chapel at St. Gertrude Church in Kaunas (Not survived) (0)
During the LGD period, near St. Gertrude church, in the place of the contemporary Laisvės Avenue, there was a Catholic parish cemetery containing a large wooden cross with a figure of the Christ. The cross became known as being miraculous and in the second half of the 18th century the wooden Christ the...
Architecture type: Professional
Ethnical region: Nenurodyta
Region: Kaunas
Architecture categories: Architecture, Separate building, Religious buildings, Chapel
Materials: Wood
Images: 0
Publications: 0
Consist of 0 object(s)
Architecture of Kaunas St. Gertrude Church (Survived, k.k.v.r. 820) (0)
Address: Kauno m. sav., Kauno m., Laisvės al. 101B
Kaunas St. Gertrude Church was constructed in a number of stages. During the first stage, in the 15th century the main single nave church building of square shaped plan with a virtually square presbytery, finishing with an almost symmetrical three-walled apse was constructed. At the second stage, in...
Architecture type: Professional
Ethnical region: Nenurodyta
Region: Kaunas
Epochs: Grand Duchy of Lithuania
Architecture categories: Architecture, Separate building, Religious buildings, Church
Materials: Masonry (brick)
Images: 2
Publications: 0
Consist of 0 object(s)
Archaeological research of St. Gertrude Church (Survived, k.k.v.r. 820) (0)
Address: Kauno m. sav., Kauno m., Laisvės al. 101B
In the second half or at the end of the 15th century, outside the town boundary, a cemetery was established and St. Gertrude church was constructed on it. St. Gertrude is the patron saint of foreigners, the sick and the poor. The establishment of a cemetery here bears witness to the fast development...
Architecture type: Professional
Year: 1503
Ethnical region: Nenurodyta
Region: Kaunas
Epochs: Grand Duchy of Lithuania
Architecture categories: Architecture, Separate building, Religious buildings, Church
Materials: Masonry (brick)
Images: 0
Publications: 0
Consist of 0 object(s)